17 September 2009
ProQuest and the National Genealogical Society Wish You Would Help Us Honor Them
ProQuest and the National Genealogical Society will honor an outstanding librarian during the NGS Family History Conference in Salt Lake City April 28 - May 1, 2010. The Filby Prize for genealogical librarianship of $1,000 is sponsored by ProQuest and is awarded to a librarian who has made significant contributions in the field of genealogy.
The deadline for nominations is January 31, 2010. If you know a librarian who is worthy, please nominate them today. Individuals may nominate themselves. The nominee need not be an NGS member but must be a full-time librarian whose focus is in genealogy and local history. They must have at least five years experience in the field and be employed in a public, academic or special library.
The criteria for judging includes:
1. Significant contributions to patron access to information, or to the preservation of historical records.
2. Development of an imaginative reference tool or similar outstanding contribution of enduring consequence that fills the gaps in existing information, accuracy, scope or usefulness of genealogical and local history materials.
3. Publication of a book or body of articles that have contributed significantly to the field of genealogy or local history and that are of interpretative nature.
4. Other activities that have significantly advanced genealogy and local history.
5. Work that has encouraged others to be innovative in the field.
Nomination letters should include personal and professional contact information. For a list of previous winners and complete directions for submitting a nomination, go to: