23 February 2016
In the last few days, I’ve posted a few very popular links to interesting articles on the NGS FB page. This is material not usually published as part of the blog and supplements the content available to FB members.
That said, I wanted to share these with the wider Upfront with NGS readership.
Remember that you can “like” the NGS FB page and have the posts appear in your news feed or not (and with or without notifications turned on). This way you will see news items like this. There are probably 5-15 such posts added every week.
These can all be accessed from the NGS FB page or via the links provided here.
- This sounds like a fun event for a local genealogy society. Has yours ever done a "swap" event or something similar? http://mtairynews.com/news/37368/folks-flock-to-genealogy-swap
- A 3 part series about Finding Burials for Formerly Enslaved People. This link is to part 3. The bottom of the article has links to parts 1 & 2, http://www.examiner.com/article/part-3-finding-burials-for-formerly-enslaved-people
- Even genealogists today still have a need to access a card catalog composed of index cards -- I will be doing just that tomorrow at the NC archives. This is an interesting read of the evolution of these invaluable finding aids and their contribution to the www. http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/a19379/a-short-history-of-the-index-card/
- Always neat when something is re-discovered such as this photo [Frederick Douglass]! http://wxxinews.org/post/frederick-douglass-photo-resurfaces-after-century
- Some more feel good news for this Friday. A man purchases an old monuments works building, finds some tombstones on the property and has been working to repatriate them to where they belong, http://www.post-gazette.com/local/west/2016/02/19/Stowe-firm-discovers-abandoned-headstones/stories/201602120041
- Neat map showing country and state creation through time of the North American continent ... https://media.giphy.com/media/l4Kia1ePs6RLmEARq/giphy.gif
- Bottom of Form
copyright © National Genealogical Society, 3108 Columbia Pike, Suite 300, Arlington, Virginia 22204-4370. http://www.ngsgenealogy.org.
NGS does not imply endorsement of any outside advertiser or other vendors appearing in this blog. Any opinions expressed by guest authors are their own and do not necessarily reflect the view of NGS.
Republication of UpFront articles is permitted and encouraged for non-commercial purposes without express permission from NGS. Please drop us a note telling us where and when you are using the article. Express written permission is required if you wish to republish UpFront articles for commercial purposes. You may send a request for express written permission to UpFront@ngsgenealogy.org. All republished articles may not be edited or reworded and must contain the copyright statement found at the bottom of each UpFront article.
Think your friends, colleagues, or fellow genealogy researchers would find this blog post interesting? If so, please let them know that anyone can read past UpFront with NGS posts or subscribe!
Suggestions for topics for future UpFront with NGS posts are always welcome. Please send any suggested topics to UpfrontNGS@mosaicrpm.com
Unless indicated otherwise or clearly an NGS Public Relations piece, Upfront with NGS posts are written by Diane L Richard, editor, Upfront with NGS.
Want to learn more about interacting with the blog, please read Hyperlinks, Subscribing and Comments -- How to Interact with Upfront with NGS Blog posts!