In case you missed UpFront last month, the National Genealogical Society announced the launch of UpFront in blog format. “Blog” is short for “web log,” an Internet communications tool that has been growing rapidly in recent years. This format will extend all the conveniences of a blog to UpFront readers. You can find it online at http://upfront.ngsgenealogy.org/
Here are some of the major advantages of a blog:
- More content sooner - You can see the latest articles as soon as they are available instead of waiting for the next monthly mailing.
- Convenience - You can choose the articles you wish to read and view them whenever you like. When used with an RSS newsreader, you can gather articles as they are posted.
- Readability - In addition to a cleaner look with appropriate font variations, web addresses noted in articles are hot links that you can click on to immediately view the web pages mentioned. You will even see illustrations for some articles!
- Reliability - Some e-mail services block messages that their software deems as possible spam. There are no spam issues when you read blog articles - either on the web or in an RSS newsreader.
- Comments - You can share your thoughts with other readers by posting a comment at the end of any article.
October 2009 is the last issue of UpFront in this e-newsletter format. As part of our transition to blog format, please note that everyone will now view events and reunions exclusively in the "Conferences & Events" section of the NGS website at www.ngsgenealogy.org/cs/conferences_and_events. Please remember to send your event items to [email protected] and include your NGS membership number in your e-mail submission.
NGS appreciates your continued readership and looks forward to welcoming you to this new era of online communication. In addition, the UpFront blog will remain free to everyone. You can find it online at http://upfront.ngsgenealogy.org/.
You can also continue to send any comments or submit articles to UpFront Editor Pam Cerutti at [email protected].