National Genealogical Society Announces
SLAM! Idea Showcase Award WinnersThe National Genealogical Society (NGS) is pleased to announce that six organizations will receive awards during its 2021 SLAM! Idea Showcase on 18 May. The award winners were selected from among thirty-two recorded poster sessions highlighting innovative projects, programs, and activities benefiting genealogical researchers. Three submissions will receive cash prizes of $250 each:
- St. Louis Genealogical Society, St. Louis, Missouri: “Congregation Project”
- German Historical Institute, Washington, DC: “German Heritage in Letters”
- Chester County (Pennsylvania) Archives: “1777 Chester County Property Atlas Portal”
Three will receive honorable mention:
- Godfrey Memorial Library, Middletown, Connecticut: “Genealogy Roundtable”
- Kentucky Historical Society, Frankfort, Kentucky: “Kentucky Ancestors Town Hall”
- St. Louis Public Library, St. Louis, Missouri: “Rooted in Inclusion: Forgoing the Family Tree Model”
All six will receive a one-year library subscription to photo enhancement software from VIVID-PIX.
Videos submitted by the award winners will be featured at the SLAM! Idea Showcase mainstage program on 18 May beginning at 3:00 p.m. (EDT). The program will also include the announcement of the 2021 Filby Award for Genealogical Librarianship and a greeting from the Library of Virginia, the 2021 NGS Conference host library. Following the mainstage event, attendees will have the opportunity to view poster sessions and chat live with their submitters. The event is free, but registration is required. Visit the conference website to register.
The SLAM! Idea Showcase is a new NGS event to promote information sharing, collaboration, networking, and collegiality among genealogical information providers. The program is sponsored by VIVID-PIX, Ancestry, and Collectionaire.
The Virtual NGS 2021 Family History Conference is scheduled for May 19-22. Conference and registration information is available online.