If so, the National Genealogical Society would like to hear from you. NGS is seeking nominations from the entire genealogical community for persons whose achievements or contributions have made an impact on the field. This educational program increases appreciation of the high standards advocated and achieved by committed genealogists whose work paved the way for researchers today.
Since 1986 when Donald Lines Jacobus became the first genealogist elected to the National Genealogy Hall of Fame, twenty-four outstanding genealogists have been recognized for their contributions. The 2010 honoree will join this select group of distinguished members. This year’s selection, and the society that honored the nominee, will be feted at the 2010 NGS Conference in the States to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah, 28 April -1 May 2010.
Nominations for election to the Hall of Fame are made by genealogical societies and historical societies throughout the United States.
Guidelines for nominations:
- A nominee must have been actively engaged in genealogy in the United States for at least ten years, must have been deceased for at least five years at the time of nomination, and must have made contributions to the field of genealogy judged to be of lasting significance in ways that were unique, pioneering, or exemplary.
- The National Genealogy Hall of Fame is an educational project in which the entire genealogical community is invited to participate. Affiliation with the National Genealogical Society is not required.
- The National Genealogy Hall of Fame Committee elects one person to the Hall of Fame annually. Those elected are permanently commemorated in the Hall of Fame at Society headquarters, Arlington, Virginia.
- Nominations for election to the Hall of Fame are due by 31 January each year. Official nomination forms are available from our website, www.ngsgenealogy.org, Awards & Competitions, or by contacting the National Genealogical Society, 3108 Columbia Pike, Suite 300, Arlington, VA 22204-4304; phone 1-800-473-0060.
- 1986 Donald Lines Jacobus (1887-1970)
- 1987 Walter Goodwin Davis (1885-1966)
- 1988 Gilbert Cope (1840-1928)
- 1989 John Farmer (1789-1838)
- 1990 George A. Moriarty Jr. (1883-1968)
- 1991 Lucy Mary Kellogg (1899-1973)
- 1992 Meredith B. Colket Jr. (1912-1985)
- 1993 Henry Fitz Gilbert Waters (1833-1913)
- 1994 Archibald Fowler Bennett (1896-1965)
- 1995 Joseph Lemuel Chester (1821-1882)
- 1996 George Ernest Bowman (1860-1941)
- 1997 John Insley Coddington (1902-1991)
- 1998 Jean Stephenson (1892-1979)
- 1999 James Dent Walker (1928-1993)
- 2000 Rabbi Malcolm H. Stern (1915-1994)
- 2001 Richard Stephen Lackey (1941-1983)
- 2002 Hannah Benner Roach (1907-1976)
- 2003 Milton Rubincam (1909-1997)
- 2004 Herbert Furman Seversmith (1904-1967)
- 2005 Mary Lovering Holman (1868-1947)
- 2006 Dr. Kenn Stryker-Rodda (1903-1990)
- 2007 Walter Lee Sheppard, Jr. (1911-2000)
- 2008 Lowell M. Volkel (1936-1992)
- 2009 Willard Heiss (1921-1988)